Security issue with home network

Marky_Bhoy 19:27 07 Jan 04

I have a home network set up. It consists of my PC (XP pro) my laptop (XP pro) and my sister's PC (Win 2000).

They are linked up through a router to allow internet(BB), file, and printer sharing.

Each computer has Norton AV 2003 installed on it.

The problem is that my sisters PC seems to be running quite slow and I think that it may be struggleing to cope with Norton AV.

I wonder what would be the security issues if I decide to remove Norton AV from her computer?

Bear in mind that she is not a heavy user of the internet and hardly ever downloads anything. But I am concerned that a virus might find its way onto my PC.

Any suggestions?

Marky_Bhoy 15:58 08 Jan 04

some extra information,
the router does not have a firewall.

SEASHANTY 16:41 08 Jan 04

Most routers, if not all have a NAT translation firewall. See this Aussie website click here

Gaz 25 19:24 08 Jan 04

You should have antivirus, no matter what.

But my suggestion is Client Antivirus. This is always cut-down and offers the same protection, but is far less graphical etc. Making it faster for businesses to use.

The Idle one 19:57 08 Jan 04

I agree - a/virus I use is AVG .
I found Norton a/v Grabbed large percentage of cpu time [ 90% at times] & used a lot of system resources so removed it

Marky_Bhoy 21:28 08 Jan 04

thanks for the suggestions.

I will keep the AV on for now.

I will look into AVG and Client Antivirus.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…