Security Firewall Need on PC and modem

TonyW2 11:26 09 Sep 07

With a (wireless) router/modem that is enabled with firewall on, is there any real need or advantage to have the firewalls (for example, Windows or Zone Alarm) set as enabled on the PC accessing the internet via that modem?)

Ashrich 12:03 09 Sep 07

Some people like the extra security of seeing what is trying to connect to the internet or network when they already have a firewall on the router , others will tell you that is enough and another one is overkill , personally I prefer the former ....

Ashley

TonyW2 09:05 17 Sep 07

So if both are used, should the modem be added to the trusted zone for the firewall on the PC and also vice versa or does that cancel them out and remove overall firewall protection?

mgmcc 08:40 18 Sep 07

In the "Zones" section of Zone Alarm, it will automatically add the IP address of the network adapter(s) which connect to the router for Internet access. The Entry Type is "Adapter Subnet" and the Zone is "Internet".

You only need to configure Zone Alarm to allow access to the computers in your Local Area Network, which is best done by entering the Subnet address. If your router's IP address is 192.168.1.1 then the Subnet address is 192.168.1.0 with Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

By using the Subnet address (ending in zero) you are allowing access to all addresses between 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.254 - just be sure the third octet (number) of the IP address matches that of your router's IP address.

TonyW2 10:43 18 Sep 07

Thanks all.
I have enabled the firewall on the router and enabled zone alarm, with windows firewall disabled, on my main desk top PC.
I have set the submask on ZA as suggested, so should be OK for access to network by any laptops etc which I may add.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…