security with file sharing and kids computer

markcomp 12:36 30 Aug 07

We have 3 computers at home, all conected thro a linksys router.
2 of the computers need to share files and access as we use them for work, however the kids computer needs internet access but I'd rather it does not have access to to our work computers as this just seems to create options for hackers and viruses. I have zone alarm sucurity suite on all machines.
How can I isolate their computer??

brundle 13:03 30 Aug 07

Remove Client for Microsoft Networks and File & Printer Sharing; click here

irishrapter 13:57 30 Aug 07

You could set the linksys router to give static IP addresses for each computer according to their MAC addresses. (Not too sure how this is done in a Linksys but it should be able to do it)

Then you will know what computer has what IP address.
Using ZoneAlarm on the kids computer block access to the other two work computers via the IP addresses of those two computers.
Do the same on the two work computers, block the IP address of the kids computer but allow the other work computers IP and routers IP.

Also make sure that the router configuration login page is password protected as well as ZoneAlarm.

May sound a bit complex but its not the hard!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…