Security confusion

samantha247 19:44 25 Jan 08

Hi there,
Would like a bit of help if possible please but not very "techy minded" so please bear with me.Currently have on my pc spybot search and destroy,Ad-Aware se personal,pc tools firewall plus and McAfee security which has just expired, the only thing which is no longer working on the McAfee is the virus scan and what I am worried about is due to being skint at moment can't afford to re-subscribe to mcafee but need a virus scanner don't I?Also over the last 3 weeks pc keeps crashing (at least once a night).So basically what do I need and should I keep all the other things (spybot etc.)Any help would be greatly appreciated.Cheers Sam

MAT ALAN 19:47 25 Jan 08

click here

click here

i use AVG but both progs (FREE)are highly regarded by most on this forum...

woodchip 19:57 25 Jan 08

don't forget, remove mcafee from add remove as if it's run out it just takes room on your drive and can cause problems if loading another av

birdface 20:25 25 Jan 08

McAfee removal tool click here .Uninstall it from add remove then run the removal tool.Then run C Cleaner.If downloading Avg A/Virus it normally runs a acan when you start your computer.This makes everything run a bit slow at start up.You can change it to run when you want it to run.Let us know a bit later if you want to do that.But as soon as you download it[Download in slow mode takes longer but does not tie up your CPU]Update it.And then do a full scan it will take about an hour.

skidzy 20:30 25 Jan 08

Use the Mcafee removal tool as posted by Buteman,then have a look through click here

samantha247 20:49 25 Jan 08

Hi there, many thanks for all your help, have just started to download AVG but estimated time left for download is saying 2 hours 45 minutes!!Have not uninstalled mcafee yet should I have done that first?

MAT ALAN 20:54 25 Jan 08

No need now you have started download, just do "as above" before you install...

woodchip 21:43 25 Jan 08

Remove it just before you load avg as it still works with old dat files

samantha247 23:10 25 Jan 08

Help,
Downloaded AVG did not install,uninstalled mcafee then had to restart computer and when it started back up the AVG install had disappeared looked for it in folders etc. can't find it will I have to download it all again

woodchip 23:59 25 Jan 08

No do a search for AVG or Grisoft

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now