Security advice needed - post scam paranoia.

lordknob 21:43 23 Nov 10

Hi,

I've just been the intended victim of one of those, "There's a virus in your PC" phone calls.

It's the scam when they try to get you to run TeamViewer and ask for the user name and password it generates so they can access your PC.

Embarrassingly, I went as far as running Teamviewer - I dont know if it installs anything but it runs an exe called TeamviewerQS-wp - but I did not give them the numbers they needed for remote access. At that stage I realised it was all a bit too weird.

However I've now had an attack of the paranoias, that maybe by running TeamviewerQS-wp I accidentally installed something I shouldn't have done, or done some damage, or put myself at risk or whatever.

Since ending the call I've done a system restore to last week. I've also full scanned with AVG, Malwarebytes and Ad Aware free. All three found nothing

So am I out of the woods? I'm still a bit nervous.

I would really appreciate any advice you could give me.

PS I don't seem to be able to delete the file TeamviewerQS-wp Windows search locates it in the folder where I downloaded it, but when I try and delete it says it's not there.

birdface 22:12 23 Nov 10

Looks like it may not be to easy to remove.
read pages one and two.

click here

colinb1604 22:14 23 Nov 10

I think you should be ok as it is malwarebytes they recommend to get rid of this type of virus, and you have scanned with all 3 ok

GaT7 22:17 23 Nov 10

Don't take a chance.

Run HijackThis (HT) click here, & post the resultant log in a dedicated HT forum like click here (instructions before posting click here). They may ask you to run other removal programs as well.

You can also do a quick DIY HT analysis via click here. Do NOT manually remove anything 'suspect' on your own, but rather ask for help on one of those forums. All the best with it. G

P.S. More HT related forums at click here (see left column), so you can choose any one you fancy

lordknob 22:44 23 Nov 10

OK. Thanks for your help so far.

I'll let you know how it goes on the HT forum.

lordknob 19:58 25 Nov 10

Hello there. Me again.

Things are not going very well. In trying to solve my issue. I now have other all new problems. I have no idea if they are connected to the original problem, or the attempted solution.

Please help.

As suggested above I went to PCHelpforum. You can see what happened here.

click here

Something weird happened when I tried to run combofix. It didnt work. Ever since, the PCHelpForum has been ignoring me. The potential malware issue remains unresolved.

Turning on my PC today, the wallpaper has disappeared - replaced by black wallpaper.

On closer examination, I discover that none of my JPEG files show up as thumbnails. very few open up as previews and many of them do not open as photos in the windows viewer.

I am open to suggestion, and a bit desperate. Can you help.

Sea Urchin 21:43 25 Nov 10

I don't think the Hijack forum is ignoring you - this message was posted to you 1 hour ago

Don't panic, I know that Belahzur will pick this up when he next logs in (which is daily).

So stick with it

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:48 25 Nov 10

I have NEVER seen anyone told to rename Commbofix to svchost.exe before.

I think this is the reason for your latest problems

It should only be used in dire circumstances under a experts guide.
How to use Commbo fix click here

Can you do a system restore to before you ran combofix?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5