security and activex problems

almadel 20:49 24 Sep 05

please help i am at the end of my tether.Every time i try to download microsoft downloads it says(your security settings do not allow websites to use activex controls installed on your computer.This page may not display properly click here for options.)i click and nothing happens:( i have tried changing the security settings to no avail .It is also stopping me using msn and hotmail.anybody out there with any ideas please

VoG II 21:31 24 Sep 05

When this happens does a thin horizontal yellow band appear just beneath the toolbars? If it does, click it and choose an option.

almadel 21:42 24 Sep 05

yes it does, it comes up with the yellow line but when i click on it for options i dont get any options it just asks "what is this?".

VoG II 21:55 24 Sep 05

This procedure will allow Web sites to automatically prompt you when downloading files and software (bypassing the Information Bar).

Open Internet Explorer.

On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.

On the Security tab, click Custom Level.

Do one or both of the following:

To turn off the Information Bar for file downloads, in the Downloads section of the list, under Automatic prompting for file downloads, click Enable.

To turn off the Information Bar for ActiveX controls, in the ActiveX controls and plug-ins section of the list, under Automatic prompting for ActiveX controls, click Enable.

almadel 22:07 24 Sep 05

ive just done as you suggested but the same thing still happens with the yellow bar.not allowing me to go any further.the only thing that comes up when i click on the bar is "information bar help"

Number 7 22:40 24 Sep 05

Have a look here click here under Change Your Security Settings.

almadel 22:50 24 Sep 05

i've already tried this im afraid, nothing i seem to try seems to work.

Number 7 23:17 24 Sep 05

Have a look at this thread click here

Seems to be caused by malware.

The fix is to run some scans for the malware, then re-register the dlls.

almadel 10:31 25 Sep 05

thanks number 7 it worked a treat.thanks also to the others who helped.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…