securing a wireless connection

ceeebeees 22:16 10 Sep 08

Hi,
I have a phillips router SNK5600/05, and I can't seem to secure my wireless internet connection. I read other intsructions on how to fix this problem but nothing seems to work. I can't get 192.168.1.1 to open. Has anyone any suggestions, and as computers are not my strong point could you explain in detail please,
Thanks in advance

mgmcc 22:22 10 Sep 08

If 192.168.1.1 is definitely the correct IP address for your router, connect to it with an ethernet cable, *NOT* wirelessly, and then type that address into your web browser. You will probably be prompted for a Username & Password and, once entered, should have access to the router's configuration pages.

ceeebeees 22:33 10 Sep 08

just did it there and it doesn't seem to work either. If that is not the correct address how would I find it?

mgmcc 22:38 10 Sep 08

Open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK) and, at the prompt, type...

ipconfig /all

...and press Enter. This will show details of all network adapters in the PC. Look for the *DEFAULT GATEWAY* address and that will be the router's IP address.

ceeebeees 22:42 10 Sep 08

ok so its 88.151.83.1. Tried entering that as an address aswell but doesn't work

peter99co 22:47 10 Sep 08

Try 192.168.1.2

ceeebeees 22:49 10 Sep 08

doesn't seem to work either, just coming up that the network has timed out

mgmcc 22:57 10 Sep 08

If you are connected via a Router and the Default Gateway address in the PC is 88.151.83.1 then something is not set up correctly. That is an Internet IP address and you should have an address in one of the ranges reserved for use in Local Area Networks, most commonly a "192.168.x.x" address.

Run IPCONFIG /ALL again, right click in the Command Prompt window, "Select All" and press Enter to copy the details to the clipboard. Paste the full details into a forum reply here.

ceeebeees 23:03 10 Sep 08

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\brenda currid>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 88.151.83.103
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 88.151.83.1

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

C:\Documents and Settings\brenda currid>

mgmcc 07:43 11 Sep 08

From the IP address, you are using an ISP based in Dublin. Is it a Cable or ADSL (via the phone line) service? The Philips SNK5600/05 appears to be a Cable/DSL router which, in the UK, would be used with Virgin's Cable service. For ADSL, a *combined* "Router & ADSL Modem" would be used.

If you should happen to be using a Modem with an ethernet connection, have you definitely connected the router's WAN (Wide Area Network or Internet) port to the Modem and not one of its LAN (Local Area Network) ports?

peter99co 10:23 11 Sep 08

I am impressed!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017