Securing USB drives

knockin on 16:50 15 Jul 06

I have just bought a flash drive(1 GB)from U3 Smart. It allows me to password protect the drive to prevent access no matter what computer I plug it into. The security is achieved by partitioning a part of the drive which (presumably) holds the relevant security information.
Is it possible for me to protect an external USB drive (250GB) with the same options - i.e. that it can be transferred to any machine and be readable only with the password? If the answer is yes, Where can I get the software to achieve this, please?

DieSse 17:58 15 Jul 06

This claims to do exactly what you want click here

If you google for ... password protect external drive ... you will find other software, and may find a free version.

knockin on 18:04 15 Jul 06

Thanks DieSse, I tried Google but didn't see this.

Belatucadrus 19:45 15 Jul 06
  knockin on 10:58 16 Jul 06

Thanks folks,
I will have to evaluate these to ensure I can plug the protected drive into any computer and decrypt it... that seems to be the tricky bit. Some programmes either offer no protection away from the originalmachine, or require the software to be installed on each machine the drive is connected to. I will respond with any result.

knockin on 20:54 16 Jul 06

The cypherix (2nd link from Belatucadrus)has all the options I need so will go for that. Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5