SECURING A UNSECURED WIRELESS HOME NETWORK

Solva 10:54 15 Aug 07

Hello Guys,

I have a query, I recently set up a wireless network using my home PC & a wireless router/modem. The problem is when I did it I set it up as an unsecured network. I would now lik eto make it secure. Problem is my home PC has now basically blown up and wont turn on. Is it possible to change the settings of my network from my laptop and secure it from there? For some reason Im thinking that I need to access my home PC to change the Network settings and thus secure the network.Any help you be much appreciated

BurrWalnut 15:47 15 Aug 07

Plug an Ethernet cable into the laptop from the router.

Go to the router settings (type 192.168.n. into the browser's address bar), supply your user name and password and look for a section named wireless or similar wording. In that section set up an SSID and an appropriate WEP or WPA key.

For anyone to then connect wirelessly they will need the SSID and key.

BurrWalnut 15:49 15 Aug 07

It should say 192.168.n.n (the n.n you will find in the router's manual, usually low numbers like 0.1)

irishrapter 15:58 15 Aug 07

Try to use WPA or WPA2 if you can as WEP can be broke in about five minutes.
When using WPA use a long password, you can get one from click here

Strawballs 22:36 15 Aug 07

You can access the router wirelessly through the laptop what make is the router?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…