Securing a Network, - Simple "How To" Instructions

thegreypanther 14:00 06 Apr 07

My local PC shop installed my Windows Vista 64-bit PC, and kindly also set up the wirleless network that includes a Windows XP PC and a Windows XP laptop. However, this network is not a secure network.

Is there anywhere where I can get simple, straightforward, instructions as to how to make this network secure using WEP? The network uses a Belkin router.

Help, please. Using Windows Vista with all its driver problems is bad enough, but I am now concerned that introducing WEP security to this wireless network will simply trigger off another Windows Vista problem.

postie24 14:27 06 Apr 07

Hope this helpsclick here

irishrapter 17:33 06 Apr 07

WEP is pretty much broken.
Use WPA if you can with a 63 letter password which you can get from click here

thegreypanther 18:56 06 Apr 07

I'm going round and round in circles, getting nowhere very slowly!
Although the procedure provided by "postie" is very clear, it does not match what comes up on my screen.
I have taken "Control Panel", - "Network Sharing Center" - "Connect to a Network" and I am told that my network is called "networkname".
But then the options run out.
What I would love to know is how I can take the steps to assign WPA protection to "networkname", and then carry this on over to the two PCs running in Windows XP on the wireless network.
This is one of these exercises when Joe Public suddenly feels utterly up a gum tree!!

irishrapter 02:18 07 Apr 07

To change any settings like encryption you need to log in to your router.
You say you are using a Belkin Router, as far as i know the log in address for belkin routers is.click here. enter this into your web browser and you should get the log in page.

As for changing setting on the router you may need to check the routers manual or ask on here.

thegreypanther 16:54 07 Apr 07

Many thanks for this tip. It certainly works.
It is quite clear to me that trying to do things by yourself in the computer world is an absolute minefield, and the need for clear instructions that cover all eventualities is paramount.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now