securing a HD partition

rash wilson 09:35 13 Dec 04

I have a 160Gb hard drive with several partitions. Is it possible to deny other users access to an individual partition and, if so, how?

Also, is it possible to prevent other users access to my favourites on IE.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

TomJerry 11:01 13 Dec 04

if you use Win2K or WinXP, you can encrypt any folders and partition. But, very careful with this method becuase you need to backup encryption key. If you lost the key, no way and noone can recover files.

Another way is to use Steganos Safe click here

rash wilson 20:48 13 Dec 04

How?

TomJerry 21:09 13 Dec 04

right click the directory you want to protect, select properties, on sharing tab, mark not share this folder, on security tab you can change which user has control of this folder.

In some XP installtion, you need to untick simple file sharing in Under Tools, folder option in my computer in order to have sharing and security tab appear.

To encrypt a folder, select, right click, select advanced under general tab, you can find the option

rash wilson 10:23 14 Dec 04

I am using XPHome not PRO. It is a PARTITION not a folder that I wish to secure. Under sharing and security/local sharing and security the "make this folder private" option is ghosted out.

TomJerry 10:59 14 Dec 04

you need to untick simple file sharing in Under Tools, folder option in my computer in order to have sharing and security tab appear

rash wilson 22:20 14 Dec 04

TomJerry, thanks for persisting but it`s as if we`re looking at different systems. I go to tools, folder options but there is no "simple file sharing" to untick.
If I right click the partition there is a "sharing and security" option which eventually brings me to a ghosted out "make this folder private".
Perhaps you are looking at XPPro and perhaps it`s different to XPHome?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:33 14 Dec 04

tools -folder options - view tab

simple file sharing is the last box

rash wilson 21:43 15 Dec 04

No! tools -folder options - view tab

"show pop-up description for folder and desktop items" is the last box. There is no simple file
sharing on my computer-honest!

TomJerry 09:50 16 Dec 04

for this change. Limited users cannot make this change.

pjwheeldon 10:04 16 Dec 04

For what it's worth, I had a look at my system (XP home, inc SP2) and i don't have this option either. And yes, I am logged on as administrator.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…