Secure Wireless Connection

pattybg 21:45 09 Sep 10

Hi

Can anyone advise how I secure my wireless internet service.

I use a Zyxel router P660HW-D1. It was never locked when the connection was activated initially and now I can't seem to be able to secure the connection.

I have logged onto page 192.168.1.1 but am only presented with a one page listing of specifications with no option to drill further into any option let alone add password etc.

If anyone can advise how I go about completing this process I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance

birdface 23:22 09 Sep 10

You might find the details on here.Sorry but i don't have time to search for it.

click here

chub_tor 09:18 10 Sep 10

click here is the Quick Start Guide, scroll down for details.

dasli 10:37 13 Sep 10

hm...interesting....

gazzaho 01:29 17 Sep 10

Chub_tor that link wasn't for the router pattybg mentioned, both the links you and buteman gave are for the 'H' instead of the 'HW' series, the Users guide for the P660HW-D1 is here. (click here) It's a PDF file so you'll need Adobe Reader found here (click here) in order to read it.

pattybg the info you need is in Chapter 7, wireless LAN, under encryption. When setting up encryption it's best to use WPA2 as opposed to WEP, WPA2 is more secure.

sunnystaines 08:05 17 Sep 10

over the last week i have had my smartphone and its set to latch onto to home wifi when in range [eg at home] but nearly everywhere i go it picks up good unlocked wifi's with no security or passwords other than the default admin. now stopped the curious temptation to use these connects as i know its wrong. but its one way for dodgy people to download pirate music leaving innocent people to get aggro if the digital rights people trace it back.

gazzaho 09:51 17 Sep 10

I totally agree sunnystaines it's way too easy to connect to someone else's wifi network if unsecured, all routers should come with setup software or instructions stating in big red letters, "YOUR CONNECTION IS NOT SECURE UNTIL ENCRYPTION IS SET" to make the less computer savvy owner aware. Someone new to computers wouldn't have a clue that others are accessing the internet through their broadband.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017