Secure sites,which and why can't I connect to some

Epirb406 21:52 19 Oct 04

Hi all,

I have another thread ongoing here click here which I am having no success with.

Whilst trying to get a solution for that problem I have been doing oodles of reading and nearly dying of frustration.

So to the point....

It seems that my problem might not be just connection to microsoft sites but with secure sites. To test this I tried a few sites, here are the results:

microsoft.co.uk Can't connect
hotmail can't connect
windows update, can't connect
ebay.co.uk can't connect
ebuyer.co.uk, can connect but can't get to checkout
yahoo mail, can connect
my personal banking site, can connect!!!

A site I found along the way was a verisign test page wich confirmed that I was able to set up and make secure connections.

Any thoughts anyone?

This is a brand new Mega 865 barebones PC with 512 branded ram and a P4 1.8 Ghz chip along with a brand new copy of XP pro, clean installed twice to make sure it wasn't that. It did have an ati graphics card in but I took that out to make sure it wasn't that!

The PC is on a wireless network and configured EXACTLY the same as another XP computer on the network.(apart from the IP address)

Any one who answers this one will be hailed as a genius for ever more and winner of a big bag of sweeties if I can think of nothing else!

Thanks for reading this far, this is killing me!

Epirb.

Legolas 22:01 19 Oct 04

Have you checked that your cipher strengh is at least 128 bit. To do this in Internet Explorer click on 'help' and 'About Internet Explorer' This will give you the Internet Explorer version and cipher strengh.

Epirb406 22:12 19 Oct 04

however I notice that it does mention sp2 and I am only running sp1, could this do it? and how did this happen!

version 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633

Th eonly update I am aware of having done is with the security roll up on the disk from microsoft, this was pre SP2.

Epirb.

PS will give the other post a tick to avoid confusion.

JonnyTub 22:28 19 Oct 04

Apologies if this has already been tried, in explorer click on tools, internet options, and then the security tab. Click on the green circle icon with a tick in the middle, and then just below that click on the "sites" button. From there add microsofts web address to the trusted zones. If while your typing the address out, the name appears, it's already in the trusted zones and you've just wasted 2 minutes, never mind :-)

fly2hi 22:30 19 Oct 04

Just a thought..Which ISP are you using?

Epirb406 22:33 19 Oct 04

Yep, thanks, tried that one Jonny sorry.

Fly2hi, Tiscali but don't think that is making the difference as this is the only machine this is happening on.

Cheers, Epirb.

JonnyTub 22:35 19 Oct 04

Have you tried a different browser to see if it's just an ie problem?

JonnyTub 22:38 19 Oct 04

click here for firefox.

Epirb406 22:42 19 Oct 04

would it be worth trying firefox as well?

epirb

fly2hi 22:42 19 Oct 04

Had the same problem with AOL re secure sites and had to adjust the MTU settings. Only happened through the network/router setup, not when through an adsl modem

JonnyTub 22:44 19 Oct 04

tried opera
would it be worth trying firefox as well?

What you got to lose?

and its only 4.5mb

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…