Secure Delete Tools..

nufc2009 16:57 07 Jun 10

hi, is there any free software that i can use that will securely wipe data from my hard drive, including traces of files that have already been deleted?

And if possible, be able to uninstall the program and leave no traces of the secure delete program behind?

thanks

Rahere 17:05 07 Jun 10

Download Hiren's Boot CD and run one of the many erase programs on that. Dban is good, set it, others car good too, just make sure you use a random sequence over three passes - any other combination is predictable and therefore possibly reversible. Dban won't save a file to anything except the floppy, and a CD is read only so should be fine.

I also made a DOS 6.22 floppy that uses SecureErase
that worked well, the project was once sponsored by US govt's NSA so should be good! It didn't work on everything but seemed quicker than most of the others.

Rahere 17:20 07 Jun 10

Thanks TIMBO I just realised I wasn't clear about the function of the two programs I recommended - these will wipe your hard drive of everything, not just erase used space - for that use TIMBO's recommendations

northumbria61 17:34 07 Jun 10

Another "tried and tested" FREEBIE

click here

nufc2009 18:10 07 Jun 10

i dont want to wipe the hard drive completely, just to be able to wipe files securely for the future, and clear traces of files already deleted in the recycle bin.

thanks for the suggestions, running of a cd sounds good, will check them out.

thanks again everyone

nufc2009 18:04 08 Jun 10

ive downloaded and burned hirens boot cd, thanks Rahere for reccomending.

so if i use the tools off the cd, there will be no traces left of me using the erase/recover tools?

thanks

T I M B O 18:21 08 Jun 10

Be very careful with hirens. As i said to delete only the odd file then follow my original post >>
Mon, [email protected]:06

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac