Section breaks and numbering in Word 2004

harris99 15:58 28 Jul 09

I have to produce a 4 page document with a 2 inch margin at the top of the first page and a 1 inch top margin on the rest. I also want to leave the first page unnumbered and the rest numbered 2,3 and 4. I achieve the margins I want by using a Section Break after the first page, but the numbering I need seems to be removed by the Section break. I can, however, number the pages as 1,2 3 and 4. Very frustrating! I do take out the tick box "Show number on first page" but that doesn't help.

harris99 16:40 28 Jul 09

Further to my own post, I have just thought of the answer. Do Page 1 as a document, do the necessary page setup and save it. Open a new document, do the particular page setup and numbering for the pages 2,3 and 4 and save it. Job done! Sorry to have bothered anyone

Sea Urchin 16:56 28 Jul 09

As well as not ticking "Show Number on First Page" on your page numbers box click Format... and then click on Start at 1.

Sea Urchin 17:16 28 Jul 09

You can also set the margins on the pages separately for page 1. In Word go to Page Set Up and select the 2 inch margin on page 1 - under Preview select "This Point Forward" and OK. Then space down to page 2 and repeat the process with a 1 inch margin. That will then apply to the remainder of the document.

harris99 17:40 28 Jul 09

Thank you, Sea Urchin - very clever. Would never have found that in a month of Sundays!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced