Secret Diallers and external modems

jack 17:18 09 Jul 04

I have been asked by a neighbour why a phone bill lists hours spent on the internet as indicated by large sums against the providers number, during April, when as far as they can tell the machine was not in use at the time. As far as they could tell it was not switched on, although they did say, when questioned further that when they meant off this was off at the computer, not powered off at the socket.

I wondered then, was the machine actually off or 'sleeping' and could the beast
Be 'awoken' by one of these 'secret diallers' I have heard about.

Indeed any thing useful to tell about the 'secret diallers' would be welcome.

As an additional thing, and the main reason for calling on me was his modem has now died, due to a near lightening strike last week.

So tomorrow I am going shopping for him to get some surge protection and a new modem.
I have recommended that I get him an external one, that will light up when connected and can then be switched off if the machine tried to do a 'secret'.
Any comments please

J

johnsims 17:34 09 Jul 04

Cannot fault your logic. External modems tend to offer quicker connections and downloads anyway, they also place less strain on the processor. USRobotics would be my choice.

Stuartli 17:37 09 Jul 04

Even better is that, being hot swappable, you could unplug the USB modem when the system is not in use or unattended.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…