secondhand hdd how to check its ok

Desperate-Dan 18:59 06 Mar 08

I just installed a backup secondhand sata hdd, I can see it in my computer and disk management it says healthy but how do I know for sure, I have 7 days to send it back if its not work, I assume
its been formated/ I don't know because its the first time i've installed a second hdd, how do I get the files from my C drive to the backup drive, I have acronis true image 10 would it be easy to use that program,

justme 19:29 06 Mar 08

If you can see it in your computer then it is working. Make a note of the drive letter assigned to it and copy files to the new(secondhand) drive.

If they copy ok then you can be sure that it is ok at that time. I don't know of any way of checking that it will still be ok next year, next week or even tomorrow, but that is the same for any drive in your computer (thats why backups are so important).

You could try leaving the computer on for a few hours to make sure that the new drive is ok when it has been running for a while and has heated up.

User-312386 19:34 06 Mar 08

Right click Drive, select properties, click tools tab and then error checking. Tick both boxes and click OK

Totally-braindead 19:46 06 Mar 08

Or check the make and goto the manufacturers website for downloads, EG Maxblast for Maxtors.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…