Secondary slave - HD

swapper 10:12 15 May 04

After a few alterations within my PC, why is it that my second HD is showing as "secondary slave" during start up, and within "My Computer" it shows as "F" drive, after "D" and "E" which are the CD R/W and the DVD Rom.

I have checked the jumper settings and they appear o.k.
It is a Deckstar 40GB and the setting options are - Master Active - Slave Active - Cable select - Master/Slave Present.

it is set to "slave Active" any suggestions please

oldal 10:24 15 May 04

The operating sytem has allocated the first free letter (address) to your slave drive.

swapper 19:51 15 May 04

oldal, thanks for that , but why would it show "Secondary slave" at start up if the Primary slave section still shows "None", and could I change, by removing the two CD/DVD ROMS from their slot, the second HD to show up as "D" and the two ROMS as "E" and "F"

Diodorus Siculus 20:18 15 May 04

Primary / secondary and drive letters correlations are not set in stone; rather they are subject to the whims of the OS. Take the following as an example:

If you have two drives: primary master and secondary master then you will have a C drive and a D drive.

Then you partition C drive; you get

C - first partition on primary master

D - secondary master

E - second partition on primary master

Then you add another drive: primary slave.

Now you have

C- first partition

D - secondary master

E - second partition on primary master

F - primary slave

and so on...

As oldal says, windows allocates drive letters as they are available.

If you want to change drive letters, WinXP makes it easy - back into disk management and you can allocate drive letters as you wish.

swapper 22:32 15 May 04

Excellent - job done, thanks (again).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…