secondary master

Teddington 17:07 21 Aug 06

can anyone help me???

I have a second hand internal DVD drive for my laptop that i need to set as a secondary master. there are no jumpers so i have no idea how to change it.

Please help i am going slightly mad with this.

TYIA

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:10 21 Aug 06

Sure there are no jumpers?

Make and model No.?

DieSse 17:12 21 Aug 06

There'll be jumpers somewhere - but if it's an internal drive, it's jumpers will almost certainly already be set to Master - laptops don't have the same degree of configurabilty as desktops.

Give us the details of the drive, and someone will try and find you an on-line manual.

Teddington 18:16 21 Aug 06

there are no jumpers on the out side of the unit but i have not dared open it up.

the drive is

Toshiba SD-R6012 Laptop DVD -R/-RW (CD R/RW) Drive

and the laptop is an higrade Ultinote M6600

hope this helps

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:25 21 Aug 06

Why do you need to set as secondary master?
Enclosure Type
Plug-In Module
This refers to drives that are used inside of laptop computers.

Teddington 19:14 21 Aug 06

the drive is not recognised when i turn on the laptop. hi-grades tec support said that the new drive must be set to secondary master. but i dont know how to.

Graham. 19:33 21 Aug 06

So is this a removable drive that fits in place of the existing one? click here

Teddington 08:35 22 Aug 06

thats right. the dvd that came with the notebook failed mechanically. i thought i would be clever and just buy another one second hand from ebay. it fitted great and all seemed fine, until i turned on and it just does not see it. i talked to higrade and they said that it needed to be set as a secondary master. and now i am stuck!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:19 22 Aug 06

I do not think you can set these drive in a laptop.

Only one connection on each IDE i.e. HDD is primary master and CD is secondary master.

If laptop annot see drive then check BIOS setting that both IDE cahnnels are Enabled.
check CMOS will Auto detect drives.

Of course its possible you have purchased a faulty drive.

Graham. 20:49 22 Aug 06

I agree, it would seem the drive is faulty. You should be able to simply slide in a drive, no configuration needed.

Teddington 13:42 23 Aug 06

That’s not good news, the only reason I want to get the DVD player to work is so that I can re-install win xp prof (at present I only have win xp home) as my laptop is not performing very well and needs a clean install I think.

I have an external dvd USB drive but I think I need the internal drive to work to do the install.

So how do I buy a cheap cd rom that would fit in the slot and work to get the laptop working right again.

Sorry for the garbled message but its really bringing me down and that even before I have tried to re load win xp which I am terrified of.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…