Secondary IDE doesn't recognise devices

agape 22:57 04 May 05

My CD Writer and DVD Writer are no longer recognised. They are set as master and slave and have worked perfectly for a long time. I have Win XP Home and have tried removing the second channel only to find the machine reinstalling it on bootup. I have moved the C drive to the second channel but it is just not recognised and the machine doesn't bootup. Can anybody help?

Gary 23:48 04 May 05

Put your hdd back on the primary ide channel. Once you can boot to windows shut down unplug and reset system bios (using the bios jumper on the system board) Restart and enter setup. Auto detect drives and reset date etc. If windows still can't see your devices on the second channel try reloading the system board drivers from your motherboard setup cd. Otherwise time for a new board

Jak_1 23:48 04 May 05

Put all back as it was and see if it boots, if so then try a system restore back to a date you know it was working.

DieSse 00:35 05 May 05

Are you saying the POST doesn't detect any secondary IDE devices - if so, no amount of messing with Windows will affect this.

Have you tried another IDE cable?

Have you checked in the BIOS that the secondary IDE drives are not Disabled - if they are change them to Auto.

agape 17:05 05 May 05

Thanks to everybody who responded so quickly. I also sent an email to Asus, the motherboard suppliers and they came back with the following advice:
'Please kindly remove front panel USB connection to see if it helps to heal the problem. If yes, then it simply means the front panel connection is not designed fully as according to Intel specification. To fix it, simply remove the cable connected to pin 9, and the problem will go away'
I did what they said and the problem DID go away! What I don't know is why the machine suddenly decided to ignore the IDE2 devices after it had worked for so long with the USB's connected.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…