Secondary Hard drive 1 not found

ANDY141062 17:56 25 Nov 06

Need some help please. When I start the computer I get the message "secondary hard 1 not found" with options to go to set up or start. On start the computer starts normally but without either the DVD or CD being recognised. The secondary hard disk works normally. Before I take the computer to have it repaired, has anyone got any idea what may be wrong?? Thanks

skidzy 18:03 25 Nov 06

Are you actually saying the cd/dvd drive is missing from My Computer

Can you insert a disc and does it work ?

Do you get any error codes ?

Missing cd/dvd drives can be associated with the removal of burning software such as Nero/Roxio/Media Creator/Sonic etc

Restore Missing CD/Dvd Drives

Missing cd/dvd drive
If it is showing an error code, 10, 39, etc., delete the drive.

Then follow these directions for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters: (might want to print this out)

1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer

ANDY141062 20:13 25 Nov 06

Thank you skidzy for your reply. I followed your suggested steps but sadly with no joy.

Upon starting the computer the message "secondary hard disk drive 1 not found" with the options F2 to run the setup utility and F1 to continue. Pressing F1 the computer starts and windows loads normally. It is only when I go to my computer or explore do I no longer have the D,E prompts for the DVD and CD drives. Both drives open and when disks are inserted they are read by either drive as lights on the front show that they are being read. No error messages are displayed they just do not appear to be recognised now by the computer. I have not had any previous problems with this and new new hardware has been fitted that may have caused a conflict.

skidzy 20:44 25 Nov 06

Try the system file checker

start/Run/and type sfc /scannow (note the space /)

If you do not have windows on a partition,you may need your windows disc.

Understanding SFC click here

ANDY141062 21:20 25 Nov 06

Thanks once again. I will have to read carefully "the understanding SFC" you have highlighted, as I tried to quickly to run SFC and I obviously do not have windows on a partition as it has asked for my windows disk. However, without having a CD drive that can read my windows disc I am ultimately snookered!!

Catastrophe 04:38 26 Nov 06

"I have not had any previous problems with this and new new hardware has been fitted that may have caused a conflict."

Have you got the jumpers set correctly?

ANDY141062 08:27 26 Nov 06

Sorry Catastrophe, should have read NO new hardware has been fitted so jumper setting have not changed.

ANDY141062 13:57 26 Nov 06

Have tried repeatedly to run SFC but each time it asks me to put in the windows disk. This I do, but without having a CD/DVD drive it recognises it cannot read the windows disk. Has anyone get any other ideas please

skidzy 17:02 26 Nov 06

Hi Andy,sorry ive been busy this weekend.

Maybe trying this,though it sounds like you may have to enter the bios to look for any changes to the boot order.

Ok,

Start/Right click My Computer/Properties/hardware/Device Manager/Scroll through till you find your cd drive..you may have to expand the +key.
Now right click the drive and scan for any hardware chances and also try updating the driver.

Also worth checking is inside the tower itself for any leads/cables that may have worked loose,i would think you are looking at the ribbon cables first.

If still no joy,post back.

ANDY141062 20:27 27 Nov 06

Thanks Skidzy for your help once again. Followed your advice Start/Right click My Computer/Properties/hardware/Device Manager/Scroll through till you find your cd drive, this is the problem it shows no CD or DVD drives so unable to open or expand.

Checked all cables and all are tight. Took them all out and reconnected. Still no good

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5