secondary hard disc instaltation

shando 11:45 21 Dec 03

I just installed a new secondary hard disc (Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 9 200Gb) to my pc to use as the master drive. I used Norton Ghost to copy everything over from my original HDD (Maxtor 40 Gb)to the new one. On completion when I restart I am given the message that "NTLDR is missing". I know that this can be fixed by using the XP install CD and the repair function. However, as my OS(XP Home)came pre-installed on the original HDD I do not have an XP disc. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Also, I changed the jumpers on the new HDD to slave to check it and all my other data has been transferred!

Cheers

Shando

Big Elf 12:22 21 Dec 03

This link may help click here

Gandy 12:32 21 Dec 03

Have you tried booting from your old drive?

shando 12:38 21 Dec 03

Yes, I can boot from my old drive.

Big Elf 12:53 21 Dec 03

This is just a stab in the dark. Put the new drive back in as a slave and boot up. Open Control Panel and go to Disk Management from Administrative Tools. At the bottome of the right hand pane you should see Disk 1. Right click on the white box area next to the drive and select 'Mark Partition as Active'. Switch off and set the new disk as a master.

SEASHANTY 14:36 21 Dec 03

^

Sheila-214876 14:44 21 Dec 03

Get yourself xxcopy from click here and reformat your new drive, install it as a slave drive and use xxcopy to transfer everything. Then make your new drive the master and reboot. Hasn't failed me yet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…