Secondary disk error reported on start-up

tallboy 11:22 13 May 08

I have two hard disks in my PC. The original disk is partitioned as drives H, I & J and the newer drive (installed 12 months ago) is partitioned as C, D & E. Drive H(now a secondary drive)still contains the original OS (Win 2000) and programs, although none of these are active. i.e. It's just used as a file store.

The two drives have worked fine together for the last 12 months, but now every time I start up the PC, I get an XP message saying that the OS needs to do a consistancy check on drive H using chkdsk. After the initial flurry of activity, I then get a screen full of identical lines saying 'Inserting an index entry into index $0 of file 26592'. (Which I have been unable to find usingExplorer Search - including hidden files.) Since the bottom line flickers, the CPU is obviously active doing something. After 20-25 minutes, I eventually get a blank screen apart from the start-up arrow, followed by the XP log-in screen.

I can then log in as normal and from then on the PC works fine, although it does seem to be slower than it used to be prior to this problem arising. If anyone has any ideas as to how to fix the problem (and also restore the speed), I would be grateful to hear from you. (Also if you know what may have caused it in the first place).

Thanks

Tallboy

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:33 13 May 08

Check Disk Prevent Upon Boot (Line 294) click here
Disable Autochk click here

tallboy 11:04 14 May 08

Many thanks for the quick response Fruit Bat. I used your first option (Check Disk Prevent Upon Boot) and the problem has gone away.

Tallboy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…