Second sata drive not shown in vista 'computer'

Rayspan 09:04 29 Sep 09

I have two sata II drives installed. BIOS, Belarc Advisor, & Vista device manager all identify them correctly.
Device manager declares both have updated drivers and both are 'working correctly.'

Only one is shown (C:) on 'computer' page.

How do I get vista to find it for me?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:33 29 Sep 09

Does it have anything on it?

Go into disk management click here and see how the drive is shown there.

Rayspan 20:49 29 Sep 09

Hi Fruit Bat - thanks for response. I followed your link, Disk Management window shows Disk 0 (current C disk) & Disk 1 - 'unallocated.'

Technotiger 20:57 29 Sep 09

Hi, Right click on Disk1 and select Initialize. A Wizard will walk you through initializing, partitioning and formatting.

Rayspan 21:04 29 Sep 09

Hi Technotiger - I've cracked it, after last post started poking around as one does, found out how to create new single volume. Bingo - now shows New Volume (F:)

Many thanks all.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:05 29 Sep 09

Disk 1 will be your new drive

1. In the Disk Management window, complete one of the following procedures, and then continue to step 2:
* To create a new partition, right-click unallocated space on the basic disk where you want to create the partition, and then click New Partition.

2. In the New Partition Wizard, click Next.

3. Click the type of partition that you want to create (Primary), and then click Next.

4. Specify the size of the partition (accept the default full size of the drive) in the Partition size in MB box, and then click Next.

5. Decide whether to manually assign a drive letter, let the system automatically enumerate the drive, or do not assign a drive letter to the new partition or logical drive, and then click Next.
6. Specify the formatting options you want to use by using one of the following procedures:
* If you want to format the partition, click Format this partition with the following settings, and then complete the following procedure in the Format dialog box:
1. Type a name for the volume in the Volume label box. This is an optional step.
2. Click the file system that you want to use in the File system box. (NTFS)

select Full format for a new drive on NTFS volumes.
Click Next.

7. Confirm that the options that selected are correct, and then click Finish.

Don't worry It wont let you format the C:drive and lose your operating system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced