"second NTFS is corrupt" during CHKDSK

PaulB2005 17:20 20 Jan 06

Does this error message mean anything top anyone? "second NTFS is corrupt"

It flashed up during a CHKDSK on a NTFS Windows XP installation. May not be accurate but it's what i scribbled down.

Linked to this thread - click here

wobblymike 18:07 20 Jan 06

There is a couple of possibilities - first question to ask is your PC fitted with 2 HDD? If so it is possible you are being told there is a fault on the slave drive.

Second thought is that if you have a single hard drive which is partitioned that you are being told you have a fault on your second partition.

Check these first and post back.

PaulB2005 18:26 20 Jan 06

No second hard drive but there is the possibilty of a 2nd partition.

I might run the CHKDSK again and look at the log file.

wobblymike 19:23 20 Jan 06

don't forget if you have a second partition it is very easy to reformat it from within windows which may well fix your problem assuming of course that the drive hasn't developed a fault

PaulB2005 20:29 20 Jan 06

I suspect the 2nd partition is part of the recovery process and don't want to format it as I'll be running the recovery CD later tonight or tomorrow once backup is complete. The partition isn't actually visible under Windows if it's there.

wobblymike 20:36 20 Jan 06

Yes that's very likelyI take it you don't have a copy of your OS just a recovery disc

PaulB2005 20:39 20 Jan 06

Ah the message was "The second NTFS boot sector is unwriteable."

click here

Just as well we decided to run the Recovery Cd after all....

PaulB2005 20:40 20 Jan 06

The PC came with both an OEM Windows XP SP1a CD and a Recovery DVD which appears to be an automated install. I haven't run it yet but have got to the "Are you sure you want to repartition the drive and reset the PC back to factory settings ?" etc etc etc Waiting to make sure everything is backed up first.

woodchip 20:41 20 Jan 06

Do this with care if you have a Recovery Partition

click here;EN-US;q153973

woodchip 20:43 20 Jan 06

Sorry http: //support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q153973

Close space after http:// copy paste into address bar

PaulB2005 20:50 20 Jan 06

Cheers woodchip but for reasons mentioned i the other thread the Recovery CD is the way to go. It does state it'll repartition the drive so hopefully that'll fix the problem.

Maybe i'll try it before i run the Recovery CD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…