Second Monitor

blackmoon 12:41 06 Jan 03
  blackmoon 12:41 06 Jan 03

How do I add a second monitor to my system? What do i need to make this work?

jazzypop 12:47 06 Jan 03

Firstly, you need a graphics card that has two outputs.

You can then see half of your desktop on each monitor (once you enable this through your graphics card driver).

blackmoon 12:56 06 Jan 03

Which cards have two outputs? What i want it for is to "de-clutter" my screen.When I'm using Photoshop, i end up having my screen full of menus and panels etc. I'd like to drag all the panels onto one screen and have the other free to use unobstructed.

Tog 13:01 06 Jan 03

There is a software utility that creates extra desktops that you can switch between. Can't remember for the life of me where I saw it. Hopefully someone else here will remember it.

Tog 13:06 06 Jan 03
  jazzypop 13:10 06 Jan 03

Pretty much all of the current graphics cards can be obtained with dual-display capabilities, although you have to specify the dual-display version.

For an (oldish) review of using dual-display, click here

For a long time, Matrox were the most-respected dual-display manufacturer. The current Nvidia 40.xx drivers are supposedly a little buggy for dual-display use - no doubt this will be fixed very soon.

siarad 13:11 06 Jan 03

In the bad old days that's how such things worked, & then came Windows.

DieSse 13:13 06 Jan 03

All recent Windows versions support two monitors via two graphics cards - I installed one originally on Win98, way back. You need a second card to plug into a PCI slot, and the monitor of corse. That's all.

DieSse 13:13 06 Jan 03

All recent Windows versions support two monitors via two graphics cards - I installed one originally on Win98, way back. You need a second card to plug into a PCI slot, and the monitor of course. That's all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017