Second Laptop with Virgin Media

kb42 20:30 12 Nov 07

Kit:
Virgin Broadband (previously NTL)
Belkin Wireless G+ Router
2 Laptops, both Windows Vista.

Fault:
I can only connect one laptop to the internet at any one time.

Bought first laptop in April and set up wireless connection for first time. I don't know the first thing about networking, I just followed the instructions and everything seemed to work fine.

Bought a second laptop last week. Went through the connect to network screens, network found, password OK etc, but although signal strength was excellent, second laptop wouldn't see the internet.

Tried again next day. This time laptop 2 could see the internet. The only difference this time was that laptop 1 wasn't already on. Switched laptop 1 on, and that couldn't see the internet.

Experimented by booting up both machines at the same time. The machine that boots up first gets the internet connection and the other is then just local only.

Is there a setting I need to change, or could it be a fault with the router?

(Sorry if this question has been asked before. I checked through the forums and couldn't find anything that exactly matched.)

Forum Editor 21:48 12 Nov 07

to any computer in range which has a wireless adapter. In theory each computer's adapter will receive the router's signal and Windows will offer you the connection - all you have to do is tell it to connect.

The fact that only one machine can connect at any one time may be due to a variety of reasons - one of which may be an IP addressing issue. To be honest, your problem is such that finding a solution via this thread could be rather long-winded, and to begin with I would recommend that you start from scratch. Reset the router to its factory state, using the reset button that's on the case somewhere. Then use one of the laptops to set it up again, following the manufacturers' instructions to the letter.

Try tht, and come back to your thread with the results - if you still can't get a connection on both computers we'll take it from there.

kb42 21:53 12 Nov 07

Thanks for that. I'll give it a go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now