second hard drive problem

rabbitrabbit 12:13 04 Apr 03

ok, i'm no expert at things like this, but here goes:
i'm trying to install the hard drive from my old computer into my new AMD athlon 2200+ machine. it's set up as the slave, all the correct cables and power sources are fitted. but upon loading the machine all i get is a black screen.

stlucia 12:38 04 Apr 03

Did the computer work okay before you put the second HDD in?

OK, so your old HDD is installed on the second plug on the same ribbon cable as the main HDD in the new machine, and its jumper is set to slave?

But what about the main HDD? Is its jumper set to master? Some have different jumper settings when they're working as master without a slave than when they're working as master with a slave. Did its plug become loose when you installed the second HDD?

rabbitrabbit 12:48 04 Apr 03

yeah, everything was fine beforehand. the main hard drive is as it was. i assume it's set to master, it has the jumper on it. maybe there are different positions for the jumper?

Eagie 12:58 04 Apr 03

There will be various combinations for the jumper on your masterdrive - visit the makers website which should give you detailed info.

stlucia 13:51 04 Apr 03

Either the maker's web site, as Eagie says, or there should be a label on the outside of the drive (probably not visible when the drive's in its slot) showing all the different settings.

The setting for "master with slave" may be different from the setting for "master working alone", which is the situation you had when there was no second drive.

And while you're in the machine, check the plugs are all in place properly.

pj123 15:53 04 Apr 03

did you set the BIOS to show that there was a slave fitted??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…