..::Second hard drive not recognised::..

The_$@!nt 21:27 26 Jul 04

I just put a second hard drive in my system becuase I was seriously low in space. Jumpers are correct, power is ok and it recognised it in POST. Should it appear in My Computer now so I can format it?? Because I cant see a new hard drive in My Computer.

I'm a bit confused.

flyingpeterpan 22:44 26 Jul 04

If you are running XP, in your start menu,right click My Computer,choose manage,and then click Disk Management in the lefthand side panel,all the details of your drives will be showing on the righthand side panel,right click on the (I should think drive E or F) depending on how many secondary IDE you have and choose FORMAT, afterwards you'll be asked to reboot,you will see your new drive in My Computer by now.

Djohn 23:30 26 Jul 04

There won't be a letter showing as it has not yet been recognised and assigned a letter. Your primary disk will show as drive (0) your new disk will show as drive (1). It will be drive (1) that you partition either as a whole or in separate sections. It will now show in my Computer and can be formatted from there or from disk management. If from disk management you will be able to give it any letter you wish except of course C.

flyingpeterpan 23:59 26 Jul 04

Thanks for the supplement,DJ! Forgot some of the details already.:o)

Djohn 00:25 27 Jul 04

I forget them all the time and have to check from another thread or from my own jottings. :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced