Second hard drive not recognised

chalkie 20:19 18 Jan 04

Help me please before I go bonkers...I have just fitted a second maxtor H/drive as slave to my original maxtor. Set the jumper to slave fired up and its recognised in Device Manager but no Icon in My Computer to enable format. I want to set it as Drive D but options greyed out under Proerties in Device Manager. What have I missed? Can one of you please save my sanity before I hit my computer with a large stick. Thanks in advance.
Chalkie.

powerless 20:21 18 Jan 04

Operating system?

chalkie 20:22 18 Jan 04

System is WinME

wawadave 20:24 18 Jan 04

hello
it need to be fdisked and formated you can do this from a 98 0r m.e bootdisk click here to d/l one make sure you select proper drive to do this on.if you never used fdisk or format from floppy befor just remove your master drive set the new drive as master reboot with bootdisk in drive than fdisk it reboot than format it. than set it as slave reinstall old drive reboot windows will see it.

chalkie 20:29 18 Jan 04

Can I Fdisk it without removing the first drive? or is it better to do as stated and then change it to 'D'
Thanks for the info

woodchip 20:35 18 Jan 04

Shouldnot need FDISK. you should be able to Right click the drive in Explorer and choose format that's all. You could check BIOS to see if it's recognised

chalkie 20:43 18 Jan 04

Woodchip...Its not showing in Explorer but it is showing in Device Manager but no option to format.

woodchip 20:55 18 Jan 04

Check the BIOS and run Auto Detect drives in BIOS

woodchip 20:58 18 Jan 04

You could also go into Device Manager and double Click Hard Disc Controller. check to see that both drives are enabled

wawadave 21:00 18 Jan 04

you can leave first drive in i only sujested remveing first drive so you dont acsedentaly delete it or format it.

woodchip 21:01 18 Jan 04

So what worked please

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…