second hard drive not recognised

plectrum 20:58 30 Dec 03

I have fitted a second hard drive to my pc, the drive is being auto-detected at startup by the bios but there is no sign of it when windows has started. The pc i have fitted the drive to is running win ME/2000. It is also formatted as NTFS, I don't know if that makes any difference.
Any help would be much appreciated.

hugh-265156 21:42 30 Dec 03

you will need to format the drive.

in xp its control panel/administrative tools/computer management/disk management right click the drive and choose format.

not sure about winME or 2000,should be similar.

Rennaissance 21:44 30 Dec 03

you will need to create a partition on it with fdisk and then format it. Fdisk is on a bootdisk obtainable from click here

plectrum 21:45 30 Dec 03

Cheers huggy but the drive is already formatted with NTFS.

howard60 21:49 30 Dec 03

control panel - add new hardware - this sometimes is the only way an existing windows installation can see a newly installed drive.

bretsky 21:51 30 Dec 03

Have you formatted the new disc? you need to do this in order for windows to recognize your new hard drive, if you haven't do it to NTFS.

Next You need to check jumper settings on the back of your new drive, if your new drive is a backup/slave drive on the same ide cable, then you need to set the jumper on your new hard drive to cable select.

If you have already done this, just check that the connections are not loose or half hanging out.

Good luck.............bretsky;0)

plectrum 21:52 30 Dec 03

Have tried that howard, still not found !

plectrum 21:56 30 Dec 03

Drive is formatted NTFS, jumpers and connections are all ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…