Second Hard Drive Installed

AndyMc 18:32 22 Jan 04

I have just put a second hard drive into my computer but it cannot be seen in the My Computer screen. How can i correct this? Is there something else i must do first?

Smiler 18:40 22 Jan 04

Have you tried here

click here

Djohn 18:58 22 Jan 04

If your using XP as your operating system, the drive will not be seen until you format it.

Right click on your "My Computer" Icon, choose "Manage" then disk management from the new window that appears.

The new drive will be shown in there. Right click on the drive in the right hand pane and choose format, follow the on-screen instructions and format the whole drive as one, or partition as you require. It will now show in your "My Computer and be ready for use. j.

AndyMc 19:00 22 Jan 04

Im using Win 98SE Djohn.

Djohn 19:09 22 Jan 04

AndyMc, my apologies, I've not used 98se for a while and I'm not sure of the correct method of making the O/S recognise a new drive, but someone will be able to help you on this.

Have you done the basic checks of making sure the new drive is set as a slave to your main drive by adjusting the jumpers on the rear of the drive?

AndyMc 19:31 22 Jan 04

Yes i am certain that it is set as slave

is the drive recognised in BIOS

gold 47 19:40 22 Jan 04

Set your hard drive to slave and reboot you should also go to the bios and enable OS2 as you will be running more than 64meg of ram i have done this on my older computer if i am wrong someone will correct me.

R4 20:03 22 Jan 04

Set your hard drive jumpers to slave and connect to IDE 0 cable: then go to the bios and set the ID0 0 slave settings to 'AUTO' or to the HDD settings for cylinders/heads etc ( this is usaully on the HDD information sticker on the HDD ) save & exit the bios.

The PC will then reboot and you should see both drives on the 'Pre Windows' Display (you will only have a few seconds to check this) then once in win98 you should see both drives in the Device manager (probably 2 type 47's)

AndyMc 18:57 23 Jan 04

The drive is recognised in BIOS but i have read on some websites that i should partition and then format the hard drive. Is this correct?

AndyMc 18:57 23 Jan 04

The drive is recognised in BIOS but i have read on some websites that i should partition and then format the hard drive. Is this correct?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…