second hard drive installation

the-george 21:23 05 Feb 04

I want to add a second hard drive (as slave)to a system using XP. Sytem only has a HD and Combo cd/dvd fitted at present so there are available IDE channels.
I am aware of how to use fdisk and format etc as I have fitted hard disks before but have not actually installed a second one. I need to know how to partition the second disk without any danger of messing up the master/system disk.

Grateful for any suggestions.

powerless 21:27 05 Feb 04

No need to use FDISK.

When you have installed your new drive and it is detected in the BIOS.

In XP, click Start, Run, Type:

diskmgmt.msc

Click OK.

Now your new disk will be "Disk 1" right click this and click "initialize".

Now right click the black line to the right of "Disk 1" and choose, New Partition and follow the wizard.

DieSse 21:29 05 Feb 04

Nothing you do to the slave drive will affect the master.

Just add in the drive, go to Control Panel - Admin Tools - Computer Management - Disk Management and you should see the blank drive.

Right click and partition/format as you wish.

the-george 21:55 05 Feb 04

Thanks for the info. Will give this a try at the weekend and let you know how it went on.

the-george 17:28 09 Feb 04

Juast to let you know that using the info received from this posting the hard drive is now installed and working perfectly. Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…