second hard drive fitted but need help

shippy 19:38 02 Mar 03

evening all ive just fitted a second hard (never done it before) i started up and went into cmos settings and set them to auto and all was well i was very pleased with myself,then i went into computer managment to format the new hard drive and i can see it there but not sure what to do next please help.im running xp pro
thanks in advance

rct 19:41 02 Mar 03

Just go into My Computer, right-click the new drive and select format if you want it as a single partition, otherwise, use Disk management to partition the drive first.

shippy 19:44 02 Mar 03

rct ive just done what you said but the new drive is not there

in disk managment i can see the drive and it says unlocatted

rct 19:50 02 Mar 03

Oh right, you haven't created any partitions on it yet... click on the unallocated space, then right click and select create partition. Choose to use the whole space or a smaller size to have more than one partition. Then format as said before.

rct 19:51 02 Mar 03

forgot to add, the first partition should be a "primary partition" and subsequent ones will be "logical drives" within an extended partition.

you do not say what type of HDD. use the HDD installation floppy specific to the type of HDD. Normally XP Pro will automatically recognise the HDD then ask if you want it partitioned & formatted. It also automatically puts in the basic XP programs. Xp pro does not like a mix of HDD (sdr does not go with ddr) nor does it like two types of HDD eg maxtor with western digital. identify what you have put in. I am afraid it is square 1 & you have to go back to basics. identify partition format & you may still find that you have a 2nd DOS partition created by XP pro to deal with

rct 20:32 02 Mar 03

kellysbouncas - please read the original post, shippy has installed an additional HDD, no need to install XP on it. Also:

*SDR and DDR relate to RAM not HDDs.

*There is no problem with mixing makes of HDD

shippy 20:47 02 Mar 03

Thanks rct and kelly all done

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…