Second Hard Drive Advice?

Devon Rex 11:31 22 Dec 03

I have an XP system with a Maxtor 6Y080L0 ultra ATA133 80GB NTFS HDD and would like to add a Fujitsu MPG3409 ATA100 40GB NTFS HDD from a redundant machine, which has XP on it (I assume I can simply delete XP & everything else AFTER installing the drive, if I set it as slave?). Could someone advise which IDE ribbon I should attach the new drive to. The primary IDE has the Maxtor and a Zip drive, the secondary IDE has a CD and a CDRW attached. Thank you.

Big Elf 11:35 22 Dec 03

Personally I'd put both hard drives on the primary channel, lose the CD and put the CDRW and Zip on the secondary channel.

Big Elf 11:37 22 Dec 03

I always forget something. In addition you could buy a PCI IDE controller for expandability.

leo49 11:38 22 Dec 03

As a rule your mobo allows 4 IDE devices thus to fit this 2nd HDD you'll have to ditch the zip.

Alternatively,to get extra IDE facilities whilst retaining the zip,you can fit a PCI IDE Controller which will provide connections for a varying number of extra drives depending on the card you buy.

2nd HDD is generally fittes as Primary slave.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…