Second Hard Drive

Kyreno 13:05 01 May 03

I am running on Windows 98SE. Have installed a second hard disk which the computer recognises but I cannot see it or access it from My Computer.What setting must I change in order to see this hard drive and be able to access it please?
On running the Dell diagnostic software, the second hard disk passes all tests.

Paranoid Android 13:22 01 May 03

Have you partitioned and formatted the drive ?

If it is a Maxtor disk, use the MaxBlast software to do this for you. Otherwise you need to fdisk and format the drive before you can use it. Be careful not to partition / format your old drive by accident or all your data will be lost.

fdisk partitions the drive and assigns a drive letter

format sets up the disk structure and allows it to be written to.

Post back if you need more help.

Marvin

Wak 15:34 01 May 03

Hi Kyreno, I have a second hard drive D:\ which I use purely as a cloned back-up of drive C:\ using XXCOPY. I don't normally want to access it, but if I did, I would go in to the BIOS and change the "Boot from IDE 0" to "Boot from IDE 1" then restart the computer.
The second drive D:\ (and all it's contents) is visible in Windows Explorer and files can be dragged and dropped from C:\ to D:\ and vice versa as normal.
Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…