second hard drive

Muergo 12:45 28 Sep 09

After putting in the second drive, will my computer recognise it straight away and just increase my total capacity, which is what I need, my existing internal drive has only 3Gb empty,
I have backed up whole of that drive to an external drive in case of accidents.

ambra4 13:08 28 Sep 09

“After putting in the second drive, will my computer recognise it straight away”

Yes if you set the drive to “Slave”

“and just increase my total capacity”

No the second drive will not increase the “Main Drive Capacity”

To increase the main drive capacity you have to remove some of the programs, data to the second drive or install a larger main drive

Muergo 14:20 28 Sep 09

Well what happens when first drive is full, will it overflow onto second.

Or can I put everything on the new one as it is bigger and make existing one the slave?

Muergo 14:36 28 Sep 09

Just found a note in the Dell Manual, it says remove first drive and put it in next bay, then put newdrive in first drive bay.

But then saysthat jumper pins on new drive have to be set to "cable select" ( see documentation with drive)
No documentation so I suppose I had better go on to Western Digital site, unless you know which pins/jumpers I shouls set.

donki 15:02 28 Sep 09

Do you know if u are SATA or IDE?

You new drive will show up as a whole new drive in My Computer with a new drive letter i.e. E: or F. when in stalling programs or data you will have to speciafy which drive you want it to go on.

As has been said you might be better doign a new install onto the new drive.

cream. 15:02 28 Sep 09

For an IDE WD drive you use pins 1 and 2 for CS. Thats the 2 vertical pins to the far right.

Muergo 15:33 28 Sep 09

The jumper pins are already on 1&2 so I am all set to take off, so as dell says it's set for cable select I will now get on with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now