Second Hard Drive

Ballie 20:06 16 Aug 04

Please can someone out thee can help me?

I have just fitted a 40gb maxtor hard drive as a slave to my 120gb western digital hard drive. The idea was that I took out my zip (100mb)drive and use the maxtor as a storage drive for my photos and to keep back ups of my doc's etc.

I have set the drive to slave (my morther board does support drives up to 160gb)and my system (win XP)foud the drive when I switched it back on, the drive is shown in Device Manager correctly, but I can not see the drive in my computer? the drive also is shown in bios set up (ie pressing DEL at start up) please can someone tell me how can I find/use my new drive? and will I need to format it? if so can this be done like a zip/floppy disc from with in windows?

mgmcc 20:23 16 Aug 04

Right click "My Computer" and select Manage.

In Computer Management, select "Disk Management", right click the new hard drive and see what options are available. You may have to partition the drive if it hasn't already been done and then you can format it. Thereafter, it should appear with a new drive letter in Windows Explorer.

johnsims 20:23 16 Aug 04

Yes you will need to format it, but if you can't see it then it becomes a bit tricky. Can you see it listed as D: in Windows Explorer? What OS are you using?

cga 21:00 16 Aug 04

mgmcc is right. you wont see it in my computer until you have defined a partition (can be the whole disk)

In WinXP you follow the instructions given by mgmcc.

In Win98 open a command prompt window and use FDISK. (I cant remember a built in tool - but it is a while ago). Make sure you partion the correct disk and then you are OK.

Either OS you can format from my computer once the partition is created.

mtall 21:14 16 Aug 04

If you can't use the tool from XP i.e Disk Management then if you have access to WIN98 startup disk use it to startup the system. Use fdisk. to creat a patition on your new HD. Once you have done this restart your system and then use disk management to delete the new patition and creat a new one using the disk management tool.
Good luck

Ballie 21:19 16 Aug 04

all sorted now, thanks a lot everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…