Second hard drive

prozac1947 11:15 27 Sep 03

Please does anyone know how to put in a second hard drive or a site that could help

Thanks
Sue

graham√ 11:21 27 Sep 03

This site can help! Please add your operating system, hard drives, etc.

Keith 11:23 27 Sep 03

Do a Search (above) on "2nd hard drive" and you'll find enough info to get you through, I'm sure. Keith

pj123 11:55 27 Sep 03

Just tell us what computer you have, What operating system you are using, what is the size of the original hard drive and what size is the new hard drive, then we will be able to help

SEASHANTY 12:03 27 Sep 03

One link you may find helpful on installing and problems with hard drives click here

prozac1947 12:07 27 Sep 03

OK The system I am using is Windows Millenium. The size of the old hard drive is 20gb and I am just putting in an extra one with 2gb until I can afford a bigger hard drive.
They both seem to be Maxtor. The computer I actually rebuilt myself using the old one as a guide !!! Is that enough ?
Thanks Sue

Quiller. 12:24 27 Sep 03

This option will install the new/old drive as slave.

Please excuse me if a lot is simple, but i don't know you pc capability.

the first thing you will have to find out before you physically install the drive is to find what is being used on your Primary master \ slave and secondary master \ slave channels.

This can be achieved in three ways.

1) when you boot the computer up at the post screen you will find those settings listed, if it is to fast then press the pause\break key to freeze the page.

2) when you boot the computer up keep pressing the delete key to enter the bios. On the screen pick standard cmos settings and make a note of the settings for primary master \ slave, secondary master \ slave. Now while you are there and if your primary slave says none, change this to auto. Press esc and now pick save settings and exit, press y for this.

3) Is to take the case off. look for the IDE cable that is connected to the hard drive. Follow the ribbon cable towards the motherboard. Now if you are lucky there will be a wide connector slot. This will show that primary slave is available.

Ok that was long winded, but what we are trying to find is if your primary slave channel is available.

If you have tried option three above and have a spare connector then follow on from here.

Look at the new hard drive. In between the power in connector and the ribbon cable connector at the back you will see a row of pins, some will have little plastic jumpers on. If you look at the drive it will tell you the jumper settings for the drive. The usual and basic thing is to set the jumper to slave.

If you have install the jumper to slave you can now physically install the drive into the machine. Look for a drive bay above the current hard drive and slot it in. If you can have a space between old drive and the new one then take it, for better air flow. Now attach the screws that will have come with the drive.

Now you can attach the cables.You already have the IDE ribbon cable, look for a spare power connector, there is usually one or two hanging around. Look at the old hard drive. You will see that the power cable and the IDE cable both have red wires, the IDE is very thin, these can now be connected.

When you are sure the connectors are the same as the old drive, you can put the case back on and boot up. Check the boot screen for primary slave to see it has been recognized. Boot fully to windows.

the above is long winded but usually takes 3-5mins.

This should get you new drive up and running as a slave drive.

To format in 98 + M.E..

Boot to windows, open my computer and right click drive "D". Scroll to properties. It should say no bytes.

Right click the drive again and scroll to format. Click on this and pick full. It will warn you that this is a removable disk, proceed and then scandisk. Your new drive will now be ready.

pj123 15:56 27 Sep 03

Don't want to put you off but adding a 2gb hard drive to a system that already has a 20gb hard drive seems to be more effort than it is worth.

I throw any hard drives I get that are less than 8gb in the bin. If you still want to go ahead with it then bsod has the answer.

prozac1947 10:47 01 Oct 03

Been off line for 3 days made a boob with comp !! I am actually putting the 2gb drive into a friend's comp who only has 10 at present.
Thanks to bsod and all i have now done the job. All i have to do now is fix mine !! Look out for postings Thanks Sue

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…