Second hard drive

popgeorge 11:59 29 Jul 03

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but I would like to add a second hard drive to my P.Bell P4 1.7 using edition Me
. At the moment I have a Western digital 40gb and would like to add a 80gb disk. My thoughts are to stay with this manufacture and I have the choose of two, the difference being in the price and size of cache, 2 or 8 gb. I only use the PC for video capture and editing, digital pictures, and other office uses. I have no requirement for interactive game play, so would I get any advantage from the more expensive disk.
Skytronik have a number of suitable drives competitively priced, has anyone any comments on their service?
Many thanks.
Geo

Forum Editor 17:53 29 Jul 03

on our WebDesign forum - it should really be in Helproom, and I'll move it there now.

Smiler 18:46 29 Jul 03

click here 8MB buffer (WD800JB)

click here
2MB buffer (WD800BB)

If you look at the western digital pages above you will see that there is a recomendation for the 8MB buffer drive for DV editing.

Cannot find the drives on the Skytonic UK site but try Dabs.com. I've bought from them for several years very quick delivery and helpful.

click here
enter the product number into the fast seach box to access details and price. (8MBcache £76.01 2MBcache £64.00)
Personally I have a Maxtor 80GB second HDD with 8MB Cache and it very fast at saving and opening files & progs

popgeorge 08:22 30 Jul 03

Hi Smiler.
Many thanks for your information, I had visited the W.D website but sometimes its knowing what to look for. I now feel confident in the purchase of the 8(mb) version, I had read that the Maxtor came out top in a survay, so I will check around for prices, Dabs was slightly up, but assured survice is probable worth the extra.
After using Ulead videostudio6 for about a year I have suddenly run into problems when in the capture mod, having downloaded most of the recommended patches, uninstalled and reinstalled so many time. I thought I might start again with a clean disk and fresh installation, still thats another story.
rgds Geo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…