Second Hard Disk, conflict caused by Disk Manager

kevvyb 22:52 17 Feb 03

Running Win98se with Hyperos on 1st HD (Master)
Running second HD (Slave) as non-bootable data drive.

Having installed a second HD which I formatted and partitioned using Disk Manager (supplied and recommended by Seagate) I now have problems in trying to use Partition Magic to repartition my drives. An error message says that Disk Manager is still detected on Drive 1. I have long since removed Disk Manager from my Master HD (I think, using the uninstall routine).

I understand this whole problem has been caused by Drive Overlay code written to the MBR by Disk Manager and that Disk Manager was a big mistake. Oops!

I have been advised that I have to wipe the Drive Overlay from the MBR on my HD and as I understand it, the only way to resolve this now is to completely wipe the HD (low level format).

If this is the case, I have a couple of questions:

Do I leave the Slave HD connected and reformat both at the same time? (I want to get rid of all traces of Disk Manager).

If the answer to this is yes, I thinkthat it woul dbe okay to use the Powermax.exe utility (which I last used on my Maxtor Master HD) on the Seagate slave HD as well? (Both are ATA HD's with capacities in excess of 500MB)

If anyone can shed some light on this for me I would be very grateful.

woodchip 23:05 17 Feb 03

Try start with Win98 rescue disc and type at A:\>fdisk/mbr and press enter then try your computer

kevvyb 23:10 17 Feb 03

Thanks Woodchip,

When you say rescue disk, can I use the system boot floppy?

I am assuming that you think this might rewrite the MBR without deleting data on the rest of the partitions?

woodchip 23:21 17 Feb 03

Yes it is just to get you to the prompt, you will not see anything happen but it will make changes

kevvyb 23:35 17 Feb 03

...and it shouldn't erase any data?

woodchip 23:37 17 Feb 03

NO

kevvyb 22:45 18 Feb 03

Thanks Woodchip.

Will give it a go.

woodchip 22:46 18 Feb 03

That's been a long time.

kevvyb 22:50 18 Feb 03

Haven't had a chance yet and am now going ot bed...so maybe tomorrow.

woodchip 22:53 18 Feb 03

PS something else you can check also, go to explorer under the C:\root double click on Msdos.sys file and open with Notepad, look for a line to see if Disk Manager is in there you can if you like before I go to bed copy and past the file hear for me to have a look at

kevvyb 09:40 19 Feb 03

Will do this evening from home. Thanks Woodchip.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…