Second - hand PC with hookey XP Pro

MaxUpload 14:57 22 Oct 06

So - the bought for my daughter for university is working fine with just the OS and a modem installed.

Updates etc? No chance - the copy of XP Pro that is installed comes up as "Not Real!".

The COA on the back of the case is for WinME.

The job is now to format the HDD and instal a genuine copy of XP Home but not having formatted a drive for quite a while - since the win98SE days - I just need to ask for some guidance.

It used to be the case of downloading a win98se boot disk,writing it to floppy and going on from there to format the drive.

So the question - Is it still the same with XP?

Tugwilson 15:08 22 Oct 06

Dont think you need to bother with a format.If you boot fom the XP home CD it should give you the option of a complete install.

fitshase 15:08 22 Oct 06

Set the bios to boot from CD first. Stick the XP CD in the drive and then start the computer up.

XP setup will guide you through everything.

VoG II 15:10 22 Oct 06
  MaxUpload 15:26 22 Oct 06

That's everything I need - many thanks for the help!

Graham. 15:33 22 Oct 06

It is a new XP CD, not a copy? You can only put XP on one computer.

MaxUpload 20:18 22 Oct 06

Thanks Graham : Brand New and Sealed - click here

interzone55 21:52 22 Oct 06

You don't need to re-install windows, providing the version installed is XP Home, and you now have a valid XP Home key use this Microsoft Knowledge Base article click here;en-us;328874
to alter your current key.

Note that this involves editing the registry, so be careful.

VoG II 21:54 22 Oct 06

Better link click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…