Second Hand Laptops

orangethoughts 16:34 10 Jan 08

OK this is a difficult one as I really don't know what to do. I have a laptop (ROCK Xtreme CT 2.13) that I want to replace with a 'power' desktop (lloking at Chillblast). How do you set a price for a second hand laptop? Would £500 be too much for a machine with the following specification:

Make: ROCK
Model: Xtreme CT
Screen: 17in (1,680 x 1,050) WSXGA+ X-Glass
Processor: 2.13GHz Intel Pentium M (can be overclocked to 2.45GHz without increasing heat or affecting stability)
Memory: 2GB 533MHz DDR2 RAM
Hard Drive: 100GB 7200rpm
Graphics Card: nVIDIA 7800GTX 256MB (very good even today!!!!)
DVD/CD: NEC ND-6500A 8x dual layer DVD/CD rewriter
Operating System: XP Pro (can provide install disc)
Software: Windows 2003 Professional and Roxio Creator 7 (can be left installed if needed but I am not providing the original discs)
Other: Bluetooth/Infrared/Bison Cam NB Pro Webcam (built into the lid)/56K modem; Gigabit Ethernet; 802.11a/b/g WLAN; 4 x USB 2; mini-FireWire; Type II/III PC Card slot; SD/MMC/Memory Stick/Memory Stick Pro card reader; DVI; S-Video out; S/PDIF out/5 built in speakers
Weight: 4.3kg
Battery: approx 1.5hrs
Lead and transformer
Condition: Perfect except for slight ware to the right of mouse pad (where you would rest hand)
Purchased Jan '06 so still has 12 months collect and return warranty!
Price new £1784.83 (this includes £200+ of upgrades; RAM, OS, HD etc....)

Thoughts/advice please.

johnem 16:49 10 Jan 08

Whilst your expected price would appear reasonable for a 2 year old laptop, if you are selling it privately you may find it difficult to transfer the warranty to the new owner. Whilst you are leaving Office 2003 on the machine, you may well have a problem if you install this software on your new laptop when you come to register it or obtain any updates.
A second hand retailer may be able to get a better price, if you can find one that will sell it on a commission basis, but they are few and far between.
Unfortunately, despite the considerable price paid, this is only a relative value to you with the way that technology moves on at a rapid pace.
Good luck, hope you find a buyer.

orangethoughts 16:53 10 Jan 08

Thanks John, yes all relative and certainly know I will get substantial depreciation, yet wan t to get as much as I can. Thanks for tip re: windows 2003 issue and possible warranty issue (I will speak to ROCK).

johnem 16:59 10 Jan 08

Unfortunately bought a new laptop pre-christmas, otherwise could have been interested. Not much help!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…