Second Hand Dell Optiplex GX260 computer needs a logon password ...

Aitchbee 20:37 PM 05 Jun 13
Answered

...I bought it today from a charity shop for a tenner, as I already own a GX260 and thought it might come in handy for spares etc.

Anyway, the computer boots up ok but it is asking for a logon password for the User name 'Administrator' ... which I do not know. [xp pro].

Can I use my 'almost identical' GX260 computer to overcome this password 'hurdle'.

BTW. I have a good backup of my old computer which I may use as a last resort to overwrite the charity shop computer.

Thanks in anticipation.

trippyderek 21:16 PM 05 Jun 13

hello can anyone tell me how i can get my music and pics from an old broken laptops hard drive? thanks

Aitchbee 21:23 PM 05 Jun 13

trippyderek - take out the hard drive and install into an external USB enclosure, the try to copy them over to another computer.

... it's quite a simple procedure as long as you have your wits about you and the right tools [small screw-driver] to hand.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:29 PM 05 Jun 13

Have you tried just pressing enter?

Aitchbee 21:37 PM 05 Jun 13

I've tried that, FruitBat/\o/\

trippyderek 21:43 PM 05 Jun 13

what is an external usb inclosure is that an external hard drive or a usb thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:51 PM 05 Jun 13

Windows2k/XP Try this:

1- boot to the windows xp/2000 CD ,

2- press enter to start setup ,

3- press F8 for the license agreement ,

4- when you get the option to repair the current installation press R to do so ,

5- let it run through and for windows XP wait until it reboots and is installing, devices then

press shift F10 to open a command prompt. For windows 2000 wait until it is registering

components then press shift F10 to open a command prompt. ,

6- In windows XP either type in "nusrmgr.cpl" w/o quotation marks at the command prompt and press enter. For windows 2000 type in "control.exe" w/o quotation marks and press enter. This should open up the user accounts applet in XP and the regular control panel in 2000. ,

7- select the users and change or remove their passwords accordingly, apply settings and close the control panel windows and command prompt windows so that just setup is running again. ,

8- let the inplace upgrade finish.

The user should now be able to log in when it finishes and not have to reinstall the programs like in a parallel install.

Aitchbee 21:53 PM 05 Jun 13

trippyderek - it is a gadget which allows you to put your laptop harddrive's contents via a usb connector onto another computer so as you can save your music files to another working computer ... it's a very useful gadget to have and costs between £10 and £15.

Aitchbee 21:55 PM 05 Jun 13

Fruitbat/\o/\ will give that a go, tomoro. Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:01 PM 05 Jun 13

trippyderek

you should really start your own thread on this subject not hijack someone else's thread.

how old is the laptop you need to know whether its a SATA or IDE connection for the drive before you buy the USB enclosure (caddy) they look like this">http://www.datarecoverytutorial.com/wp-images/recover-data-from-laptop/external-usb-enclosure.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.datarecoverytutorial.com/recover-data-from-failed-laptop-notebook/&h=450&w=600&sz=57&tbnid=tc1ZQ2XNcb35_M:&tbnh=93&tbnw=124&zoom=1&usg=___5661xj-mmx-8XOlk9e-jNwCD5E=&docid=YbG2Gf0OOXIS1M&sa=X&ei=daavUbqJPOfP0QWby4DgAw&ved=0CIMBEPUBMAg4Cg&dur=2977">this you insert your old drive and connect to a USB port on another machine.

the prices vary but you can pick up a sata to USB

trippyderek 22:53 PM 05 Jun 13

its not a dead old one its got hdmi port on it so its a acer aspire

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 vs Xperia Z5 Premium vs Xperia Z5 Compact: What's the difference between Sony's new ?…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Get $800 of free online Nuke and VRay rendering from Google Zync

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone