second hand computer.....clearing hard drive

anim 14:39 01 Apr 04

hi all.....i need some help in what to do when you have bought a second hand computer......how do i make sure the previous owner has not accessed unlawful sites....or how do i wipe out all trails....especially if computer is used by more then one person(all men)....can i do this each time of usuage by who ever? i have been told that it is impossible to clean a computer once used as accessed sites always leave a trace what ever you do
any advise appreciated..as still relatively new to all this....
thanks

Diodorus Siculus 14:52 01 Apr 04

No need to worry about the hdd; any trace of sites visited will be left on the ISP records which is more important than the hdd. You can format, reinstall windows, and if really worried, get something like eraser from click here to clean the hdd somewhat. But it is never posible to remove all traces, and there is nothing for you to worry about.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:57 01 Apr 04

Format C: and reinstall ;-))))

G

Sethhaniel 16:22 01 Apr 04

What I did was copy and past a large games folder a couple of times till the hard disk was full - then deleted them again - so the only deleted files that could be recovered were this of the games folder -
What operating system 98 in c:/windows/history delete each folder ie 'last week' 'Monday' etc
in Windows explorer select 'C' prompt /right click / select properties - click on disk clean up

anim 16:45 01 Apr 04

many thanks to all for the quick response

pj123 16:47 01 Apr 04

anim. It depends where you are buying the 2ndhand computer from. If it is from a company then they should have already done it for you (except for one company who seem to have a problem with this). If you buy it from a private sale then the best bet is to re-format and re-install from scratch as suggested above.

anim 12:59 20 Jun 07

Hi
Just bought a new computer with Windows Vista Premium but having trouble with connecting my Lexmark X1180 printer which worked well enough on my old computer with Windows ME.This is apparently a known problem even by Lexmark who advise/give link to downloading a new driver before trying to install the printer.....which is all well and good but having done this what happens is that you can print but you can not use the All In One Center(AIOC) of the printer for scanning or any other functions..... you have to use Windows which is all very cumbersome.
Just wondered does anyone else have/had the some problems..solution....or shall i just invest in a new printer?
many thanks

Technotiger 13:59 20 Jun 07

The best solution is to buy a All-in-one that is Vista compatible - will save you a whole lot of hassle.

Technotiger 14:01 20 Jun 07

PS - I recommend Epson for Vista compatibility.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…