Second hand computer probs

jackol 11:35 05 Feb 03

I have got a secong hand PC from an old office, and am unsure how to go about clearing all the files from it, especially the novell groupwise setup which allocates user profiles and therefore stores my files in different areas of the drive when I log on with the windows passwords. If I dont use this my desk top is different. I really want to clear old files off but obviously not the programs and get rid of the network/novell setup changes to the normal windows setup. I have upgraded the machine so it is realtively fast and therefore buying a new one is not an option. I really need advise to clear out all the old files and office based setups......please help thanks, (PS I have got adobe premier installed and will be primarily using it as an editing system so maximum efficiency is vital! Thanks again)

MichelleC 12:10 05 Feb 03

Which operating system is it?

MichelleC 13:07 05 Feb 03

... w98.

Is the novel setup a password protector? if so u can uninstall it either by it's own 1 or via add/remove. Then go via explorer to delete any files you don't need. You don't need 'downloaded progs', temp files, temp internet files (u need to remember login passwords) or deleted internet emails.

If u r into dv editing a 2nd hd is vital, plus ram.

MichelleC 14:35 05 Feb 03

It's best to post here as any solution can be easier to search for later on.

...WOW that was quick, thanks for info but still little confused!?

The passwords seem to attached to the normal windows start up one as no novell box opens up. What will happen to my files under the path name c/profiles /olly /my docs? once I remove the program and other files/programs with similar path names as they seem to linked to the start up password. I guess I can delete any other folders that have been created by other users when it was a ofice working machine? I presume they will contain no important system files etc?
I knew I need a 2nd HD should I go for internal or external any advise? but I thought 384 RAM would be enough?
Thanks for amazingly quick response, I hope to get all my queries sorted out in no time at this rate!!...

I can't help on the novell groupwise (is it a networking prog?) issue, but internal hd is fine.

Once you get the dv bug u can never have enough hd. This is my spec: Win 98se,
Athlon AMD 1.2 gb,
512 ram,
main hd 40gb (5400),
2nd hd 60gb (7200),
Ext hd 120gb (7200),
DVD 16x,
cdwr 16x 10x 40x,
1394 firewire.
Software:
(Sony TRV 120E dv camcord)
Video Factory, Magix Video Deluxe

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…