second-hand computer

Dorkins 09:35 13 Mar 07

I'm thinking of buying a second-hand computer and would like to know if it is possible to download and install an anti-virus program like for example AVG "Free" and Spybot Search and Destroy on to my memory stick so that i can check the PC for viruses and spyware etc prior to purchase. Thanks in advance.

rick808 10:45 13 Mar 07

Yes you can tho you will still have to install them. Try this - click here
You can run these straight off your memory stick

robbiepaul79 10:45 13 Mar 07

Id reccomend asking the computer to be clean or formated before buying or do it yourself as soon as you recieve it probally best way overall, yet i dont see how it wouldnt be possible to follow your route.

birdface 10:45 13 Mar 07

Cant help you with Memory Stick,But make sure it has a legal copy of W/XP on it,If not it will cost about £70 for a new one.

johndrew 12:15 13 Mar 07

Why not have a word with click here as he is selling his PC. Could be worthwhile for both of you.

If not then I agree with both robbiepaul79 and buteman but would suggest you take a copy of the wpa.dbl file before you do a format. This will save the need of re-registering and you will be able to update immediately.

Make certain you have installed firewall, anti-virus and anti-malware software before you go online and update this first.

Dorkins 12:22 13 Mar 07

Perhaps i should have mentioned that i only want the second-hand PC to install a Linux distro on.

Totally-braindead 12:40 13 Mar 07

As long as AVG and Spybot work with Linux then theres no problem. I have a memory stick and store various files on it for fixing my friends PCs including AVG, Spybot and AVG antispyware.
Just download the files and then put the download on the memory stick.

Dorkins 13:58 13 Mar 07

Thanks for all the help and advice folks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…