Second ADSL line and connection - How?

Jeffers22 09:16 15 Dec 04

I'm currently with Virgin BB and have a second phone line. I have a 3 PC and 2 wireless laptop home network behind a netgear ADSL modem and router/wireless access point. I have been looking at the Metronet offerings and would like to trial the 1Mbit service via the second line (thus keeping the Virgin account for the time being). My question is what would I need to do to set this up - I would only need the Metronet connection to be to the one PC, it is not necessary to distribute it across the network at this stage, but it would need to be an extra connection to that main PC rather than an "instead of". I am thinking a second NIC and a second modem/router but would appreciate any advice in terms of necessary equipment and set up.
Thanks in advance
J

fuzzbug 10:46 15 Dec 04

use wi-fi to connect to the main network whilst using a USB connection as your internet connection (a wi-fi adapter will cost much less than a router)

Jeffers22 14:21 15 Dec 04

Thanks fuzzbug. Not entirely sure I fully understand what you mean. Perhaps you could clarify in terms of what equipment and what goes where.

J

Jeffers22 17:23 15 Dec 04

Decided to migrate rather than spend the money - about £130 for new line activation and a new modem. Rang Virgin for a MAC number, helpful young man siad he would talk to "provisioning" and ring me back if there was any news on the 1Mbit service. 15 Mins later phone rings and I'm offered a place on their 1Mbit trial. RESULT!
So staying put after all that with a trial of the 1Mbit service at no additional cost.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…