Second ADSL - How to set it up?

Jeffers22 13:27 14 Nov 04

I have a 512 connection from Virgin, but would like a 1Mbit service. Sadly Virgin do not offer this at the moment. As I work from home, I have a second phone line. If I sign up for a free trial of a 1Mbit service on this second line (could be any provider - not really fussy), what kit will I need and what else will I need to do to enable both services to run concurrently?

My setup is modem > router/WAP > cat5 cable connections to 3 PCs and 11g wireless to two laptops.

The test of the new service could be to a single PC rather than networked.

Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance.

Jeffers22 23:19 14 Nov 04

anyone?

Salinger 23:23 14 Nov 04

Don't think you will get a free trial from any provider.

Gary7 23:56 14 Nov 04

I have asked this question before, but UI don't think this is possible, as you would have two external IP addresses. Trying to parallel them up is a bit of a technical no-go. Your best bet is to simply up the speed of your existing ADSL connection, or change supplier. NTL are now doing 1.5Mb/s for very little money.

TomJerry 00:04 15 Nov 04

If your two phone lines are actual physical phone line, it should be possible to get another adsl for that line.

However, many second phone lines are not really, just a second phone number, actually BT use a spliter to make two phone number use the same line. Only BT can tell you this.

Jeffers22 00:04 15 Nov 04

Thanks for the responses.

Salinger - I think you may be correct.

Gary7 - It is possible, but I've discovered I would need to purchase another dsl modem router for the second line and an expensive bit of kit (£250 + VAT) into which both routers would plug and out of which would come the network cables - one to each PC as now. See this: click here

A bit rich for my blood, just to test a 1Mbit connection!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…