Searching with Vista

Glen 15:00 20 Jul 10

I rarely get the results I want when searching. Example - I click start and then type 'Memory' into the search box, hoping to get the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool (PCA September, page 82), but all I get is a vast list of letters and documents which contain the word 'memory'. What is wrong?
Glen

rawprawn 15:19 20 Jul 10

Try Everything click here
Brilliant

MAT ALAN 15:21 20 Jul 10

If you wish to search for items online you need a search engine such as google.
If i read it right the method you are useing is a search function that applies to files and folders already installed on your PC.
You will not find all of those unless you select to search hidden files and folders...
To get better results use better keywords, if you are searching for the "Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool" type that in...

Woolwell 15:24 20 Jul 10

Do you get any programs listed at the top of the search list? For example if you type Microsoft do you get nay programs listed?

Check this - Right click on the start button and choose properties then on the start menu tab click on customize and then scroll down to make sure that "search programs" is checked.

Woolwell 15:26 20 Jul 10

I don't think that is quite correct in Vista. If I type just mem in the search box the first item listed is memory diagnostics tool. Incidentally if I type Windows Memory it doesn't find it at all.

northumbria61 15:31 20 Jul 10

If you only click one word ie."Memory" you will get everything that contains that word - just be more specific - ie. "Memory Dia ----- etc"

northumbria61 15:34 20 Jul 10

Mat Alan - I just need to type "mem" in Win 7 and I get the "Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool" listed as 1st. Maybe the "Indexing" isn't up to date for Glen.

rawprawn 15:37 20 Jul 10

So do I,but I suggested Everything because it is so thorough.

northumbria61 15:39 20 Jul 10

rawprawn - good link - I haven't seen that one before.

Woolwell 16:10 20 Jul 10

If it's not searching programs you don't get the diagnostic tool.

Woolwell 20:57 20 Jul 10

Received via yellow envelope "Thanks a lot. Your tip re searching has solved it. I am now searching programs as well as files. Glen"

Best to put it on the thread so that others know what worked and what didn't.

Tick resolved?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…